Thursday 17 April 2008

The Complete Booker


I have also joined The Complete Booker Challenge and the 2008 Booker Challenge to help me complete the first one.

So far I have read 16 Booker winners (I knew my degree would come in handy somewhere!). I have now signed up to try and read all of the Booker winners. The 2008 challenge, challenges participants to read 6 books which have won, been shortlisted or longlisted for the Man Booker Prize, they can be from any year.
I'm planning on reading:


2. The Famished Road (winner)




Extra: Sea of Poppies, Amitav Ghosh (2008 nominee)
My Booker Read's So Far and What I Still Need To Read:
1969 Something to Answer for
by P.H. Newby
1970 Elected Member
by B. Rubens

1971 In a Free State: A Novel
by V.S. Naipaul
1972 G.: A Novel
by John Berger
1973 The siege of Krishnapur;
by J. G Farrell
1974 Holiday
by Stanley Middleton
1974 The Conservationist
by Nadine Gordimer
1975 Heat and Dust
by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
1976 Saville
by David Storey
1977 Staying On: A Novel (Phoenix Fiction Series)
by Paul Scott
1978 The Sea, The Sea (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
by Iris Murdoch
1979 Offshore
by Penelope Fitzgerald
1980 Rites of Passage
by William Golding
1981 Midnight's Children (Everyman's Library)
by Salman Rushdie
***** (Really struggled with it, but definately worth perservering)
1982 Schindler's Ark (Coronet Books)
by Thomas Keneally
1983 Life and Times of Michael K: A Novel
by J. M. Coetzee
1984 Hotel Du Lac
by Anita Brookner
***** (Not my type of thing)
1985 The Bone People: A Novel
by Keri Hulme
***** (A fav of mine)
1986 The Old Devils
by Kingsley Amis
1987 Moon Tiger
by Penelope Lively ***** (ok but not outstanding)
1988 Oscar and Lucinda: movie tie-in edition
by Peter Carey
***** (Ok, but didn't live up to my expectations for it)
1989 The Remains of the Day
by Kazuo Ishiguro
***** (A really good read)
1990 Possession: A Romance
by A.S. Byatt
***** (One of my all time favs)
1991 The Famished Road *****
by Ben Okri
1992 The English Patient
by Michael Ondaatje
***** (A modern classic)
1992 Sacred Hunger (Norton Paperback Fiction)
by Barry Unsworth
1993 Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
by Roddy Doyle
***** ? (Read for Uni, I can't remember it at all)
1994 How Late It Was, How Late
by James Kelman
1995 The Ghost Road
by Pat Barker
1996 Last Orders
by Graham Swift
1997 The God of Small Things
by Arundhati Roy
***** (A really good read)
1998 Amsterdam: A Novel
by Ian McEwan
***** (He's written a lot better material)
1999 Disgrace
by J. M. Coetzee
***** (I wasn't impressed)
2000 The Blind Assassin: A Novel
by Margaret Atwood
***** (A great read as expected from Margaret Atwood)
2001 True History of the Kelly Gang: A Novel
by Peter Carey
2002 Life of Pi
by Yann Martel ***** (A really great read)
2003
Vernon God Little
by DBC Pierre ***** (One of my all time most hated reads)
2004
The Line of Beauty: A Novel
by Alan Hollinghurst
***** (A good read)
2005 The Sea (Man Booker Prize)
by John Banville
2006 The Inheritance of Loss
by Kiran Desai ***** (I thought this book was trying to be too clever)
2007 The Gathering
by Anne Enright

No comments: