Wednesday 2 July 2008

My Thoughts: The Red Queen, Margaret Drabble


This is a book I seem to have on my list for many challenges so it was great to finally get around to reading it, and it was a good read.

The novel is divided into three sections. The first section is told in a very interesting manner. It is the story of the Red Queen about her time as a princess and queen in South Korea 200 years ago. That's no unusual I hear you say, but it is the way in which the story is told that makes it different. The queen tells her story through a modern author, she refers from another world about how life was for women in Korea in the past and compares this to modern life.

The second section is about a academic living in modern Englan on her way off to a lecture tour, and how the memoirs of the Red Queen has influenced her journey.

As I started the book I was really not sure about it and on a few ocassions nearly abandoned it as I found the style at the beginning of the book hard to get into, but once I had excepted it I found that I whizzed through. I will say that I prefered the second and third section the most despite the fact that the story in the first section is much closer to my normal reading taste.


Challenges:





2 comments:

Bryan G. Robinson said...

I have it for one of the challenges that I'm doing too. Orbis Terrarum Challenge, I think it's called. Or is it the 1 percent Well Read Challenge. So it's good to know you liked it.

My reading blog is at Just A (Reading) Fool.

Marg said...

I seem to remember feeling the same about the first section of the book when I read it a few years ago.