Sunday 13 July 2008

Sunday Salon and My Thoughts on Twilight by Stephanie Meyer



Another fairly busy week but I managed to finish 2 books so I'm back up to my average speed. This week is the final week at school before the holidays and rather than helping us teachers relax they shove everything in at once. It's not all bad though, I off to see Twelfth Night at the Open Air Theatre in Regents Park (lets hope the weather has improved by then).

I spent my of my reading time on Stardust this week, my first Neil Gaiman of many, I'm sure. It was lovely to come home and disappear into a fairytale world for an hour or so.

Twilight - Stephanie Meyer

Yesterday I started Twilight (it got finished this morning in bed), yes I know I'm probably the last person to read this but at least I got around to it eventually.

For those few of you who haven't read this, the book is about a teenage girl, Bella, who has just moved from sunny Phoenix to dreary Forks, apparently the most rainy place in America. In this small town Bella stands out and everyone wants to get to know her. Everyone, that is, except her lab partner, Edward. Edward and his brothers and sisters are aloof, they stand out, they are stunningly beautiful, they are awfully pale, they don't make friends and they prove a great danger to the curious Bella. And you guessed it, they are vampires! Bella, decides to fall in love with Edward and he with her, and off the adventure begins.

I loved this novel. Yes it's predictable. Yes it's a typical YA romance/Gothic drama. Yes it is like a million other books I read as a teenager. Yet there was something about this book that stood out. It was fairly well written, they avoided too many stereotypes. Most importantly it made me feel like a teenager again - in a good way. It also reminded me how overpowering your first love can be, to the point where it is all consuming.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I think this is going to be the first book we read for the reading group I'm setting up at school.

Challenges
Young Adult Challenge 2008 Book 1 of 12
July Book Blowout Book 3
Marg
If you've reviewed this book please leave you link to your review and I'll link it to the page.

9 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I have not read any Meyer book. Suppose I should. She is so much in the blog world!

Here is my SS post

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

oh, I can't wait to read that book!! happy sunday salon to you!

Yvonne said...

I haven't read the Meyer books yet either, but I do have them in my TBR. I suppose I should get around to it.

Happy Sunday!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Loved your thoughts on Twilight, I have to agree that there is something special about the way Meyer writes - she conveys the feelings of adolescence perfectly.

The Kool-Aid Mom said...

I've never read any of Meyer's books, but Twilight and Eclipse are on Mt. TBR. Hopefully I'll get to them before the movie comes out.

S. Krishna said...

Haha, I love all these books - they're so addicting! I can't tell you why though. Have you read The Host? I didn't think I'd like it by the description but ended up loving it.

katrina said...

I have The Host coming to me as a bookring so I should get it sometime in the next 6 months - looking forward to it

jessi said...

I'm not big on Meyer's writing style (it's a touch too melodramic for me), but her books are addictive - I have Breaking Down on order for August 2nd, and I can't wait to find out what happens to Bella and Edward! :)

Marg said...

I am really looking forward to reading Breaking Dawn when it comes out in the next couple of months!

My review of Twilight is here