Thursday 7 August 2008

My Thoughts: The Fragrance of Guava: Conversations with Gabriel Garcia Marquez by Mendoza (and a challange round up).



I saw this book in the library sale and picked it up out of curiosity, it's not the type I would buy in a bookshop, as I don't tend to get past the fiction section, but it was a really good read.

The book is an interview with Gabriel Garcia Marquez by an obviously close and personal friend Plinio Apuleyo Mendoza. It is clear to see the friendship in the questions Mendoza asks and the way he joins in or finishes Marquez's answers.

The interview covers a whole range of subjects, including Marquez's childhood, life as a struggling writer, politics, personal and literary influences, fame, superstition and obviously his thoughts of the books that he has written.

At only 120 pages this book was a quick read but filled with tons of information, and it has made me want to read more of Marquez's work.


Challenge:

Book 6 of 6 for the What's in a Name? Challenge

The 20th Century Project: Book 9 of 100 (1983)


What's in a Name Challenge

Another challenge completed! For this challenge you had to read 6 books, each books title must relate to a particular topic. Here is what I read:


3. First Name = Elizabeth Costello
4. Place = Breakfast at Tiffany's
5. Weather = Gone with the Wind
6. Flower = The Fragrance of Guava


My favorite book by far was Gone with the Wind, with Breakfast at Tiffany's running up in second place. Moon Tiger was the only book I didn't think was a good read.

No comments: