Sunday 9 November 2008

Sunday Salon

I've found that I haven't read much this week - the first week back to school has been pretty hectic. I'm also reading a book (The Sea of Poppies) which I seem to be struggling with - struggling because its an awkward hardback, struggling because it's full of Indian slang and words, struggling because there are 4 different storylines happening. Having said that I am enjoying it, I just seem to be reading very slowly.
Despite not having read much i had 6 books arrive in the house this week, 4 of them are bookrings which need to be finished in the next 4 weeks



My 4 bookrings


Free from Bookcrossing meeting



A free copy from Cannongate publishers

The Notable challenge, is now going to be a perpetual challenge. Challengers challenge themselves to a set number of books for the year - I want to read at least 6.

My list of possibilities:
My Revolutions, by Hari Kunzru (from 2008 Publishers Weekly Best Books)
The Calling, by Inger Ash Wolfe (from 2008 Publishers Weekly Best Books)
The Angel of Grozny: Orphans of a Forgotten War, by Asne Seierstad (from 2008 Publishers Weekly Best Books)
Bog Child, by Siobhan Dowd (from 2008 Publishers Weekly Best Books)
A Long way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, by Ishmael Beah (International Reading Association 2008)
The Yiddish Policeman's Union, by Michael Chabon (ALA Notable Book List 2008)
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver (ALA Notable Book List 2008)
The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story, by Diane Ackerman (ALA Notable Book List 2008)
My South Seas Sleeping Beauty by Guixing Zhang (Kiriyama Prize Notable Book List 2008)

2 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Some list! But I simply can't read Hemingway!

Sundays arrive too fast!

Sandra said...

You've got some interesting books there. I started Under The Skin but had to return it to the library as it was due. It was getting creepy but I had no idea what was going on. lol I must get it again. I read the Hemingway book when I was sixteen, over forty years ago now. I will definitely be reading The Sea of Poppies. And I have written up my Notable Challenge list and really should get it posted. Thanks for reminding me. The Yiddish Policemen's Union is a fun read and The Zookeeper's Wife is really good. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I'm doing Sunday Salons now and it's a lot of fun finding out what others did all week.