Saturday 21 February 2009

My Thoughts: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels


This is one of those books that I have been meaning to read for so long, and I finally got their and finished it off in just two sittings! Not bad for a 300 page book.

The novel starts in a series of images, a young boy listening to his sister playing the piano, eating a family meal, and playing in his hideout. Then suddently the reader is presented with a startling image, he goes to play in his hideout when suddenly he hears a crash inside the house, his mothers bowl of buttons spill across the floor. Then silence. His parents and sister are removed from him forver by the Nazi soldiers.
While hiding from the guards in the marshy muds of Poland Jakob is discovered by a Greek geologist, who takes him home and stays his friend and companion for life. Jakobs life takes his through Greece and Canada and back again, yet no matter how far he travels from the terrors of his childhood he can never forget or lay his sister's ghost to rest.
The language in this book is stunning, with a real poetic quality. I started the book marking all the notable passages, but after sticking in 10 post its in the first 20 odd pages I thought it was best to just read and enjoy. I'll certainly be searching out more of Anne Michaels books in the future.

Challenges:
999 (1001)
Book Awards 2
War Through the Generations: WWII
Orange Prize Project
1001 BTRBYD

3 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

Oh, I didn't realize it was about Nazis. I still want to read it so I'm glad you really liked it

Anna said...

I posted this here on War Through the Generations.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Teresa said...

I adored this book. See my review at www.bmowp.blogspot.com
Teresa