Sunday 22 February 2009

Sunday Salon: Today and a quick review

Today should be busy and I really should be getting on with lots of work at the moment, but its Sunday and I seem to be in a go-slow mood today.
I woke up and read my first Manga - Priests. I wasn't overly impressed but I'm going to try Manga Shakespeare next, hopefully I'll enjoy that more. Oh and I built a table - well a flat pack table!
I'm just about to pop off to the library to pick up my reservations then I should be filling out coursework forms for 50 pupils - this should be really stimulating, for each one I have to hand write in the title of their 4 or 5 essays that they are entering - I'm sure I could be doing something more worthwhile!


A Quick Review: Castle Waiting, Linda Medley
This is a big-ole graphic novel of 450 pages but a fairly quick and easy read. The fairy tale story is set is an old secluded castle where people retreat to in times of need. Through the novel we are told the stories of several of the lovable characters who come to live in the castle - like the bearded nuns, and a single mother.
The book has its funny moments and was an enjoyable way to pass a few hours. I thought it was an okay graphic novel, check out Eva's review she loved it.
Challenges:
The Graphic Novel Challenge


In case you missed anything I posted this week:
Orbis Terrarum - my picks for this years challenge
My thoughts on the excellent Fugitive Pieces
Library Loot
A Short Story Review: The Camel's Back
Two books others loved but I didn't, have you read them? What did you think?

3 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

Hope your school work doesn't take too long. Does your library open on a Sunday? Ours don't open over here.

Eva said...

I'm sorry you didn't love Castle Waiting! Maybe because you've been exposed to more graphic novels?

katrina said...

Yeah, libraries open on a Sunday but as a shorter day, the one where I live only opens for 3 and a half hours, but is lovely and quiet.
Eva, I think the type of graphic novels I like seem to be more serious, the main one's I have really have enjoyed have been autobiographical. I haven't really read that many so far, so just feeling my way around at the moment.