Friday 17 April 2009

Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon my pile



I'll say this now, I won't be reading for 24 hours, I have to go and work in a bar for 5-7hrs of Saturday - it depends on how busy it is to the time we close. I'm also going back to school on Monday after 2 weeks Easter break so don't want to be completely shattered, I plan on sleeping for 3 hours early Sunday morning.
I'm planning on completing 12-16 hours reading..

The Pile:


Despite not being able to commint for the full amount of time I still have a fairly big pile as I like to read as the mood grabs me.
From top to bottom:
Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey: I'm really looking forward to this book, I have saved it for the read-a-thon for the last 4 weeks as it looks fun, easy and short. For Carl's Once Upon a Time III challenge.
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Heminway, All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque and The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa: All of these are 1001 books I've been meaning to read for ages, if I get one read I'll be happy.
Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien: For Becky's End of the World challenge.
The Secrets of a Fire King by Kim Edwards: This is a short story collection by the author of The Memory Keeper's Daughter, I've read several of these already, I'm hoping to read one for Ready When You Are, C.B's Short Story Sunday.
An Elergy for Easterly by Petina Gappah: My first Early Reviewer copy from Librarything.
What I Was by Meg Rosoff: (Ssshhh! I stole this from the school library this week when the librarian wasn't in - will sneak it back later this week). This is for the 2009 YA reading challenge, loved this authors other books.
These three are for when my eyes get tired and also to give me a sense of accomplishment: Y: The Last Man - Cycles a graphic novel, The Viewer by Gary Crew and Shaun Tan and Mrs Biddlebox both kids books with gorgeous pictures.

I also have Tar Baby by Toni Morrison on my ipod if my eyes get too sore.

I'll be happy if I can read 4 of these novels, a short story and the last three books.
Last year I just read the posts and what I remember mainly were all the posts about peoples delicious looking snacks, now I'm Weight Watchering (my own made up word I'm sure), so I'll be drooling over people's snacks whilst eating apples and Ryvita.

6 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

You could make doritos using lasagne pasta. They make a great snack and are very low in fat. Over the years I have had to come up with snack alternatives.. Good luck with the readathon. I know I can't take part as I am out all day.

Eva said...

I'm glad you'll be reading for a good chunk of the time anyway!! :D

I'm going to make Chex Mix as my snack: I'm not sure how Weight Watchers feels about carbs, but it doesn't seem like there's too much to be unhealthy about...I think there's like 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter for over 10 cups of mix.

Ana S. said...

12-16h is a great goal! Most people just tailor the read-a-thon to their needs, and that's completely fine.

Good luck and have fun!

katrina said...

Some interesting snack ideas, I'm off to the supermarket in the morning to see what snacks I an grab whilst still staying on plan.

katrina said...

Eva - I looked up Chex Mix I don't think we have it in England, though I may be wrong

Anna said...

You got a great stack of books to choose from. I'm participating with my daughter, and I know we won't be able to do the whole 24 hours. It'll still be fun though. Hope you have a blast!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric