Tuesday 26 May 2009

My Thoughts: The Secrets of a Fire Kig by Kim Edwards


Isn't the cover gorgeous!

I've been dipping into this book of short stories for the last couple of months and I have to say I loved the vast majority of them. Eacg story is vastly different: people living in a secret society; the discovery of gold; rat stories and a housewife who befriends Marie Curie to give but a few examples. The writing in each story is rich, creating pictures to feed your mind.

I have read a few negative reviews elsewhere on the net but most of those people seem to want Edwards to replicate The Memory Keeper's Daughter. For me this showed that she had more to her. I loved The Memory Keeper's daughter but it was a 'Jodi Piccolt' novel, heart wrenching but not well written in a literary sense. These stories hint that a literary novel could be brewing.

Read it if you love dipping into short stories.

2 comments:

Emily Rogers said...

I've thought about picking up this book multiple times but I wasn't in love with Memory Keeper's Daughter so I haven't. Thanks to your review, I think I'll grab it next time. Thank you!

serendipity_viv said...

I was sitting here trying to think where I knew the name Kim Edwards from - thank you for putting me out of my misery. This book sounds excellent.