Thursday 13 August 2009

My Thoughts: The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint


Having read The Wild Woods by Charles de Lint a few months ago I was eager to read some more when I spotted The Onion Girl as a audiodownload. I've been listening to this on my long walks to town and the gym (40 mins each way) and looking the world which was created in my mind.
Fairie artist Jilly is knocked down in a hit and run and left in a coma, whilst in this coma she discovers the ability to visit the 'dreamworld', a world a few of her friends inhabit reguarly or through their own dreams. When I got to this point I thought it was going to be a cute story but then things get darker. We learn about Jilly and her sister's abuse as children and the different paths it led them through. We watch as her sister Raylene grows up living a life of crime and escaping into the dream world to hunt as a wolf. We also get to know many of Jilly's fabulous friends, they're all different and quirky in their own way.
The novel splits between different characters and places and worlds, giving us different impressions of what is going on. More Charles de Lint will soon be added to my tbr pile!
Challenges:
A-Z (Title)

3 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I like the sound of this. I have Charles de Lint down as one of the authors I want to read, so maybe I should try this one first.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I loved it and still haven't gotten around to the follow up Widdershins. Charles de Lint very quickly became one of my very favourite authors.

Michelle said...

I'm so very glad you enjoyed this book. I have every Charles de Lint book possible and love them all, obviously some more than others but all have been enjoyed.