Sunday 13 September 2009

The Sunday Salon: Making Cocoa for Kinsley Amis by Wendy Cope

For my second read in the Twelve Step Poetry Programme I picked up Wendy Cope's 'Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis', this is part of a collection which has languised on my book shelf for many many years.
Unlike The Migraine Hotel by Luke Kennard which I loved this collectio just didn't hit the spot. Many of the poems are a woman's angst about men, she creates a mock The WasteLand (my favourite poem - which didn't go down well), and mixes in silly rhyming poems. I know she is loved, maybe I should select a different collection to read of hers and give her a second go.
Having said that I did enjoy 'Usquesbaugh' and 'E Pericoloso Spordersi' I loved the sound of the words in both.
My next poetry collection is of a very different type and will be reviewed later in the week.

As for today, I was supposed to be really busy working and planning but just not feeling it, will be cramming a little more in then cuddling up with a book and a bit plate of roasted vegetables. I just finished the BBCs adaptation of Dickens Little Dorrit which was fantabulous.

3 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I have had one of those days when I was supposed to be busy and it dissolved into a quiet afternoon of reading. Bliss.

Peta said...

I'm going to be reading Wendy Cope this month for the Poetry Programme so it's interesting to see your thoughts. I've not read any of her books for around 15 years so I will be interested to see how I respond!

Jodie said...

Oh no, she is absolutely one of my favs and I love this collection, so sorry you didn't like it (but then I am an angsty woman who think 'He Tells Her' sums up many an interaction I've had with a man;). I love what she has to say about why rhyming poetry is relevant whenever she's interviewed. Ah well, the beauty of poetry is that it's gone in an instant if you don't like it.

I'm not sure if these are in that collection, (but I don't think so) but if they're not and you fancy giving her another go you might try 'The Squirrel and the Crow' or 'The Sitter'. They still rhyme but they're a bit more thoughtful.